Skip to main content

Odeon session: Friday October 7th

Odeon sessions on Fridays are a great way to start off the day. We came into the room and DJ Hadron (Josh who I actually know in person) played some house tunes and it felt like I was in a club.

At first a really good band played and then Ace talked about events this week. Later there was a video about the things that were happening at Metropolis and it sounded quite exciting. I really want to visit metropolis and check out the amazing facilities.

After that a representative from a company called Pledge Music came and I thought that was really interesting because I had never heard of them before. He explained thatit was a site where they help you set up a campaign to crowdfund the production of an album, ep or just a single. Apparently they have a 95% successrate which is incredible, I was quite intrigued by the whole thing and decided to do some research.

Basically Pledge Music works a bit like kickstarter or other crowdfunding platforms. You pay money to fund the project and if the goal wasn't reached you get a refund. If it was reached then you get an exclusive behing the scenes look at how the product is being made and once it's finished you receive a package (for example vinyl with autograph, cd, cd+ tshirt, etc.) With the product you previously chose and payed for.

I personally believe that this is a very smart plattform particularly for bands who don't have the money to rent out a studio and hire a producer.

For edm producers I don't really see a big benefit at the moment but that might change in near future

After that a girl named Alica sang and played guitar and it was mesmerizing, I absolutely loved her voice and I felt like having just the guitar was perfect, anything else would have been too much.

Then Kainne spoke a few words about wellbeing and how to not get into stress. I'm pretty good at planning ahead so I usually don't feel too stressed and I have my parents and friends to talk to and they help me resolve any worries that I have.

And last but not least a really good three-man blues band played that I really enjoyed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4, Session diary 7: Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack

Week 3, Monday 15th of May Goals: Optimize workflow, continue working on the instrumental, practice sound design in serum and with the Korg Volca Bass, write notation for instruments to record Resources: DAW (FL Studio, Logic), instruments (guitar, piano, etc.), leads, mics, Diary: I completed 3 of the 4 goals I set myself this week, I practiced sound design and wrote a blog post about how I jammed with the Korg Volca Bass. I continued working on the instrumental and have nearly completed it now. I tested the mix in MIT 3 through the Genelec speakers and wrote down some things I need to focus on and change to make it cleaner. I also restructured my room to create a more comfortable working environment, I moved my bed to the window to create more space to sit at the desk and removed equipment I don’t use to have more desk space. This really helped me optimize my workflow because I didn’t have things lying around and distracting me and additionally I could easily get t...

Project 4 Task deadlines

In Task 1 we have to fill out a proposal form and state the following: - What I've learned till now - What I want to do for my Project 4 Assessment - What resources I will need to facilitate the project - What research I will conduct - Set myself deadlines and create an action plan The deadline for this task is: 08/05/2017 Task 2 is a Research and Development task where we have to research recording examples in Part A, analyse them and write a 500-word blog post about it. Part B is a research exercise about production tools, which ones are good and bad and which ones I will utilise myself and we will have to write another 500-word blog post. The deadline for Part A&B is 05/06/2017 Part C is a ongoing session diary where we update our progress via blog posts. The deadline for this is 19/06/2017 Task 3 is an audio submission of our composition which needs to be handed in by 26/06/2017 And the final task 4 is a written blog post of 500 words where we evaluate how...

Analysis Practise Task

The bass is very clear and crisp in Steve's mix and the instruments are panned which helps give each one more space and makes the listening experience more interesting. There is a lot of headroom and you can hear every instrument. The vocal sounds very dry and in my opinion could have been processed with a bit more reverb and possibly duplicated and panned out for the chorus to give it a bit more power. Some of the guitars are panned too much for liking particularly during the solo where the guitar is at the centre of the listeners attention it feels like it's too distant and hard to focus on. The pan could have been automated to get it in the middle of the mix during the solo imitating a spotlight which only shines on the guitar player during the solo and then switches to the singer again after the solo is finished.