Skip to main content

Term 2: Formative Assessment Feedback

In the week from the 30th of January to the 3rd of February, we had a formative assessment week in which our knowledge about the lectures we attended in Term 2 was tested.

I received decent scores for all my formatives and I'm pretty content with how it turned out. There were some questions that I didn't answer correctly in for example Studio Production, where I didn't identify the right frequencies sometimes and I think that this is valuable feedback since I can see my weaknesses and practise until they become strengths.  

I've learned a lot in the time that I have spent at ACM but I strongly believe that I could have learned even more if some of the classes covered more advanced subject matter. 

In my opinion, they should split the classes into more basic and advanced groups for the second year to push the advanced and help the people who need more basic knowledge.
I strongly believe that this would benefit everyone since some of the classes are hard to get through because the lecturers have the responsibility to match the pace of the slowest learner which hinders the faster learners from progressing and makes the lecture boring because they are unchallenged.

Other than that I have learned a lot from ACM, I think the way it is built around learning by doing is great. Another brilliant thing is that we are able to make use of the facilities and book tutorials.

Another reason why I have learned so much in the time being here is that the lectures at ACM only take up about 17 hours which compared to the 36 hours a week I had to attend at my old school is very little. Because of this, I was able to do a lot of studying outside of ACM to further help my musical and technical development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4, Session diary 7: Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack

Week 3, Monday 15th of May Goals: Optimize workflow, continue working on the instrumental, practice sound design in serum and with the Korg Volca Bass, write notation for instruments to record Resources: DAW (FL Studio, Logic), instruments (guitar, piano, etc.), leads, mics, Diary: I completed 3 of the 4 goals I set myself this week, I practiced sound design and wrote a blog post about how I jammed with the Korg Volca Bass. I continued working on the instrumental and have nearly completed it now. I tested the mix in MIT 3 through the Genelec speakers and wrote down some things I need to focus on and change to make it cleaner. I also restructured my room to create a more comfortable working environment, I moved my bed to the window to create more space to sit at the desk and removed equipment I don’t use to have more desk space. This really helped me optimize my workflow because I didn’t have things lying around and distracting me and additionally I could easily get t...

Project 4 Task deadlines

In Task 1 we have to fill out a proposal form and state the following: - What I've learned till now - What I want to do for my Project 4 Assessment - What resources I will need to facilitate the project - What research I will conduct - Set myself deadlines and create an action plan The deadline for this task is: 08/05/2017 Task 2 is a Research and Development task where we have to research recording examples in Part A, analyse them and write a 500-word blog post about it. Part B is a research exercise about production tools, which ones are good and bad and which ones I will utilise myself and we will have to write another 500-word blog post. The deadline for Part A&B is 05/06/2017 Part C is a ongoing session diary where we update our progress via blog posts. The deadline for this is 19/06/2017 Task 3 is an audio submission of our composition which needs to be handed in by 26/06/2017 And the final task 4 is a written blog post of 500 words where we evaluate how...

Divinity Roxx masterclass

After I heard at the odeon session, that BeyoncĂ©s bassist  and creative director Divinity Roxx was holding a masterclass I immediately signed up for it. I've never heard of her before but since she had wirked with BeyoncĂ© I figured that she must have loads of experience in the industry and I could definitely take something away from the masterclass. So on tuesday the 27th of September 2016  I went there and when she came in and played her first song I was very impressed. She mixed rap with incredible bass riffs and I just enjoyed listening.  She then did a lot of q&a and talked about how she got to the level she is on now and what really surprised me, was that she first started playing bass after graduating highschool. So that was a big eyeopener to me that you dont necessarily have to do something for an extremely long time to succeed, you have to be driven and work as hard as you can! What I also learned from her is that you should live your life and en...