Skip to main content

Project 4, Session Diary 2: Sound design and foley

Week 2, Monday 1st of May
Goals:
Work on the instrumental backing track, find out which instruments I want to record live and jam with Jonny who is a very talented guitarist
to possibly create an additional a top line or backing melody


Resources:
Electric guitar, Kemper, Guitar pedals, Midi keyboard, DAW (FL Studio, Logic), YouTube, Soundcloud, Spotify, Microsoft Word


Diary:
This week I’ve almost completely finished the instrumental backing track, I am very happy with it and I’ve shown it to Lauren and Callum who gave me really positive feedback. I still need to change some minor things, for example, I’m not quite happy yet with the breakdown after the first chorus and additionally, I want to slightly alter the second chorus to make it a little bit more different from the first one.
I’ll probably do this by adding a live recorded guitar to it and possibly another synth layer.


Even though I’m well on schedule, I unfortunately, did not complete one of my weekly goals which was to jam with Jonny and write a guitar melody for the recording session in Week 4 (15th May). I am a bit disappointed in myself for not holding in this deadline but I will catch up on it to stay on time with my time plan.


I’ve worked a lot on sound design this week and have experimented a lot in Serum to try to create distorted leads that sound kind of like a distant violin. These sounds help to create a melancholy/sad vibe because they remind of distant cries and howls of agony which psychologically remind the brain of sad events.
Serum is my favorite synth only Harmor can compete with it in my opinion and it’s incredibly versatile. One of my favorite features is that it can take samples and resynthesize them to create even crazier sounds.


This week I also downloaded a massive amount of samples from Splice because my membership runs out on the 25th of May and I still had a bunch of credits to spend.
I was particularly interested in the foley section and delved deep into cinematic soundscapes and I’ve now decided to try to combine some cinematic elements into my compositions by using foley to enrich some of the parts that have less instruments in them. In my Project 4 instrumental I utilized foley in the intro in form of a sample of rain hitting the ground which slowly fades out as it goes into the chorus and additionally another sample of water dripping in a cave for the breakdown.
These samples help create an ambiance and add more depth to the track.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4, Session diary 7: Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack

Week 3, Monday 15th of May Goals: Optimize workflow, continue working on the instrumental, practice sound design in serum and with the Korg Volca Bass, write notation for instruments to record Resources: DAW (FL Studio, Logic), instruments (guitar, piano, etc.), leads, mics, Diary: I completed 3 of the 4 goals I set myself this week, I practiced sound design and wrote a blog post about how I jammed with the Korg Volca Bass. I continued working on the instrumental and have nearly completed it now. I tested the mix in MIT 3 through the Genelec speakers and wrote down some things I need to focus on and change to make it cleaner. I also restructured my room to create a more comfortable working environment, I moved my bed to the window to create more space to sit at the desk and removed equipment I don’t use to have more desk space. This really helped me optimize my workflow because I didn’t have things lying around and distracting me and additionally I could easily get t...

Project 4 Task deadlines

In Task 1 we have to fill out a proposal form and state the following: - What I've learned till now - What I want to do for my Project 4 Assessment - What resources I will need to facilitate the project - What research I will conduct - Set myself deadlines and create an action plan The deadline for this task is: 08/05/2017 Task 2 is a Research and Development task where we have to research recording examples in Part A, analyse them and write a 500-word blog post about it. Part B is a research exercise about production tools, which ones are good and bad and which ones I will utilise myself and we will have to write another 500-word blog post. The deadline for Part A&B is 05/06/2017 Part C is a ongoing session diary where we update our progress via blog posts. The deadline for this is 19/06/2017 Task 3 is an audio submission of our composition which needs to be handed in by 26/06/2017 And the final task 4 is a written blog post of 500 words where we evaluate how...

Divinity Roxx masterclass

After I heard at the odeon session, that BeyoncĂ©s bassist  and creative director Divinity Roxx was holding a masterclass I immediately signed up for it. I've never heard of her before but since she had wirked with BeyoncĂ© I figured that she must have loads of experience in the industry and I could definitely take something away from the masterclass. So on tuesday the 27th of September 2016  I went there and when she came in and played her first song I was very impressed. She mixed rap with incredible bass riffs and I just enjoyed listening.  She then did a lot of q&a and talked about how she got to the level she is on now and what really surprised me, was that she first started playing bass after graduating highschool. So that was a big eyeopener to me that you dont necessarily have to do something for an extremely long time to succeed, you have to be driven and work as hard as you can! What I also learned from her is that you should live your life and en...