Skip to main content

Hans Zimmer Masterclass Review

I am currently watching the recently released Hans Zimmer online masterclass which can be purchased for 90$, it contains 31 video tutorials in which Hans talks about various subjects such as how to tactically choose a key for your composition, creating sound palettes and templates, scoring to picture and many more. Hans Zimmer is one of the most influential film composers in today's film industry he is one of my biggest idols. His credits include iconic films like: The Lion King, Gladiator,  The Thin Red Line, Crimson Tide, The Dark Knight, Inception, Interstellar, etc.
He has won one Academy Award, four Grammy Awards and a number of other Awards.

I have started watching the masterclass and I am enjoying it a lot, his insights about the industry and small tips about communicating with directors or other industry professionals really help and I feel like I can always take something away from each video episode.
The production team really did an excellent job on making the experience very intimate and personal, it feels like you are in the room with Hans asking him the questions.
The whole masterclass is broken down into segments of different topics so it's not necessary to watch the masterclass in chronological order and the length of the episodes is not too long so you can simply watch one in a work or school break or before going to bed which I think is a very positive thing.

Hans is a very humble person and in one of the episodes he says how he still thinks "How on earth will I do this" before composing the score for each new film. This helped me realize that matter how experienced you are each new project poses a challenge and it isn't a bad thing to be intimidated by the task at hand. Another great thing I took away about how important and necessary simplicity is because you can always stack instruments and make something big but you need a starting point and somewhere to go back to.
Having a recurring simple theme at the core of a soundtrack is also really practical because it makes the theme memorable, a great example of this is in the film Interstellar where Hans used an extremely simple and emotional piano part at the heart of the composition and then developed the whole soundtrack from it.

I would definitely recommend watching the Masterclass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4, Session diary 7: Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack

Week 3, Monday 15th of May Goals: Optimize workflow, continue working on the instrumental, practice sound design in serum and with the Korg Volca Bass, write notation for instruments to record Resources: DAW (FL Studio, Logic), instruments (guitar, piano, etc.), leads, mics, Diary: I completed 3 of the 4 goals I set myself this week, I practiced sound design and wrote a blog post about how I jammed with the Korg Volca Bass. I continued working on the instrumental and have nearly completed it now. I tested the mix in MIT 3 through the Genelec speakers and wrote down some things I need to focus on and change to make it cleaner. I also restructured my room to create a more comfortable working environment, I moved my bed to the window to create more space to sit at the desk and removed equipment I don’t use to have more desk space. This really helped me optimize my workflow because I didn’t have things lying around and distracting me and additionally I could easily get t...

Project 4 Task deadlines

In Task 1 we have to fill out a proposal form and state the following: - What I've learned till now - What I want to do for my Project 4 Assessment - What resources I will need to facilitate the project - What research I will conduct - Set myself deadlines and create an action plan The deadline for this task is: 08/05/2017 Task 2 is a Research and Development task where we have to research recording examples in Part A, analyse them and write a 500-word blog post about it. Part B is a research exercise about production tools, which ones are good and bad and which ones I will utilise myself and we will have to write another 500-word blog post. The deadline for Part A&B is 05/06/2017 Part C is a ongoing session diary where we update our progress via blog posts. The deadline for this is 19/06/2017 Task 3 is an audio submission of our composition which needs to be handed in by 26/06/2017 And the final task 4 is a written blog post of 500 words where we evaluate how...

Divinity Roxx masterclass

After I heard at the odeon session, that BeyoncĂ©s bassist  and creative director Divinity Roxx was holding a masterclass I immediately signed up for it. I've never heard of her before but since she had wirked with BeyoncĂ© I figured that she must have loads of experience in the industry and I could definitely take something away from the masterclass. So on tuesday the 27th of September 2016  I went there and when she came in and played her first song I was very impressed. She mixed rap with incredible bass riffs and I just enjoyed listening.  She then did a lot of q&a and talked about how she got to the level she is on now and what really surprised me, was that she first started playing bass after graduating highschool. So that was a big eyeopener to me that you dont necessarily have to do something for an extremely long time to succeed, you have to be driven and work as hard as you can! What I also learned from her is that you should live your life and en...