Skip to main content

Project 2 Task 2 - Meeting: Live Lounge Recording (Group 15)

"Rag'n'Bone Man - Human (Group 15 Cover)"


The plan for the recording session is that Lewis will take care of the mic placement, the communication with the band and the video-recording of the session. I will be responsible for the live tracking and recording of the session, this will include gain staging, eq'ing etc.

I attended two rehearsals of my live lounge recording band consisting of Jack and Max playing guitar, Kieran playing drums, Joey singing and Ryan playing bass. In the first one, I got to know all the band members and they talked about their song choice and what style they wanted to do. Eventually, they figured out that they wanted to do a metal cover of the song Human by Rag’n’Bone Man and in their band skills class, they rewrote the track to their liking. On Monday I joined one of their rehearsals and recorded the song to take note of the differences to the original. After this, I asked them where they wanted to be on the stage so that I could map out a stage plan and figure out a tech spec for the performance.

The rehearsals and the meetings went quite smooth and the band members are all very nice and it was no problem to talk to them.

A big issue though was and still is communication and punctuality. Two of the band members turned up an hour late to the first band meeting and on the second one again only three of five members were present at the previously agreed time, one of them showed up over an hour late and the other one didn’t come at all.
It is often very hard to schedule rehearsal times in the facebook chat that we set up because some people don’t read the messages or do not respond in a timely manner which makes communication very slow and painstaking. Unfortunately, the same thing was the case with Lewis, who did not show up to a single rehearsal nor did he communicate with me or the band. I have talked to him since and asked him why he hasn't turned up to the practice sessions or responded and he said that he will make it a priority from now on.

Original by Rag’n’Bone Man
Cover by Max, Joey, Kieran, Ryan, Jack
Key Signature
B Minor
A minor
Genre/Style
Blues, Soul
Metal
Tempo (BPM)
75
155
Recording Date
2014-2015
2017
Release Date
21 July 2016
N/A
Producer
Two Inch Punch
Gregory Lester, Lewis Burchett
Arrangement/Structure
Intro: 4 Bars
Verse 1: 4 Bars
Refrain: 4 Bars
Verse 2: 4 Bars
Refrain: 4 Bars
Chorus 1: 8 Bars
Verse 3: 4 Bars
Refrain: 4 Bars
Chorus 2: 12 Bars
Bridge: 4 Bars
Silence: 1 Bar
Chorus 3: 8 Bars

Intro: 8
Verse: 8
Refrain: 8
Pre-chorus: 8
Chorus: 16
Refrain: 16
Verse: 8
Refrain: 16
Verse: 16
Refrain 16
Halftime (about 70bpm):
Verse: 8
Refrain: 8

Instrumentation
  • Lead vocal
  • Background vocal
  • Vocal effects like “yeah” in the background
  • Bass guitar
  • Acoustic kit
  • Clap sample
  • Tamburin
  • Piano
  • Strings
  • Lead Vocal
  • Background Vocal
  • Lead Guitar
  • Rhythm Guitar
  • Drums
  • Bass
Time Signature
4/4
4/4
Run Length
3:17
About 5 minutes
Production
  • They sampled a voice saying “I’m only human” in the intro and utilized it in the same style as old school hip hop artists would by triggering the sample and using it as an instrument
  • The producer makes deliberate use of silence to build tension and release and make it more intense when the instruments come in. Example: at the end of the bridge all instruments cut out for an entire bar and you can just hear the voice.
  • It sounds like the voice of the lead singer has been pitched up an octave and layered with the main vocal in some parts of the verses
  • The lead vocals have a high dynamic range and thus will probably need to be compressed during the live recording
  • The following effect pedals will be utilized by the lead guitar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4, Session diary 7: Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack

Week 3, Monday 15th of May Goals: Optimize workflow, continue working on the instrumental, practice sound design in serum and with the Korg Volca Bass, write notation for instruments to record Resources: DAW (FL Studio, Logic), instruments (guitar, piano, etc.), leads, mics, Diary: I completed 3 of the 4 goals I set myself this week, I practiced sound design and wrote a blog post about how I jammed with the Korg Volca Bass. I continued working on the instrumental and have nearly completed it now. I tested the mix in MIT 3 through the Genelec speakers and wrote down some things I need to focus on and change to make it cleaner. I also restructured my room to create a more comfortable working environment, I moved my bed to the window to create more space to sit at the desk and removed equipment I don’t use to have more desk space. This really helped me optimize my workflow because I didn’t have things lying around and distracting me and additionally I could easily get t...

Project 4 Task deadlines

In Task 1 we have to fill out a proposal form and state the following: - What I've learned till now - What I want to do for my Project 4 Assessment - What resources I will need to facilitate the project - What research I will conduct - Set myself deadlines and create an action plan The deadline for this task is: 08/05/2017 Task 2 is a Research and Development task where we have to research recording examples in Part A, analyse them and write a 500-word blog post about it. Part B is a research exercise about production tools, which ones are good and bad and which ones I will utilise myself and we will have to write another 500-word blog post. The deadline for Part A&B is 05/06/2017 Part C is a ongoing session diary where we update our progress via blog posts. The deadline for this is 19/06/2017 Task 3 is an audio submission of our composition which needs to be handed in by 26/06/2017 And the final task 4 is a written blog post of 500 words where we evaluate how...

Analysis Practise Task

The bass is very clear and crisp in Steve's mix and the instruments are panned which helps give each one more space and makes the listening experience more interesting. There is a lot of headroom and you can hear every instrument. The vocal sounds very dry and in my opinion could have been processed with a bit more reverb and possibly duplicated and panned out for the chorus to give it a bit more power. Some of the guitars are panned too much for liking particularly during the solo where the guitar is at the centre of the listeners attention it feels like it's too distant and hard to focus on. The pan could have been automated to get it in the middle of the mix during the solo imitating a spotlight which only shines on the guitar player during the solo and then switches to the singer again after the solo is finished.