Skip to main content

15th September 2016 ... productive studio day

Today I was pretty productive... I had lectures in the morning and learned some cool new stuff and as soon as I got out of the last lecture I went to the "Pro Control" studio which will had booked.
It was a bit daunting at first because I always feel like I'm gonna break something but the stuff is sturdier than it looks ^^

Anyway while Will mixed his kick and sub I practised my scales on the keyboard after that I hooked my laptop up to the speakers and checked my mix of the track I'm working on right now (I'd post a link but I don't want to show it to anyone yet). I noticed that the snare was way to loud and not sitting correctly in the mix, the risers are too overpowering at the end of the buildup, the bass noise in the buildup needs to have a highpass filter with an automation controlling the frequency envelope and last but not least that the transition after the drop is great but I continue going into the main verse which I shouldn't do but rather just continue with the "after drop" bridge motif.

It was great to finally listen to my track on amazing speakers and be able to feel the bass, that feeling in your gut and torso when the 808's in the drop come in and the sinewaves hit you is very rewarding! ^-^/

Studio pics and a vid of the track:

Later that evening I booked room 17 for 45 minutes (I already used up the rest of my credits for recording drums on Sunday) and mixed rap vocal stems in Logic. I myself am a Fl Studio user and I rarely use Logic so I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone to learn it and it went surprisingly well. The native plugins in Logic are f**ing amazing! I'm trying to use Logic more and more for mixing and hopefully by christmas I'll be "fluent"in Logic, at least that'd be my set goal.

All in all fun and productive day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4, Session diary 7: Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack

Week 3, Monday 15th of May Goals: Optimize workflow, continue working on the instrumental, practice sound design in serum and with the Korg Volca Bass, write notation for instruments to record Resources: DAW (FL Studio, Logic), instruments (guitar, piano, etc.), leads, mics, Diary: I completed 3 of the 4 goals I set myself this week, I practiced sound design and wrote a blog post about how I jammed with the Korg Volca Bass. I continued working on the instrumental and have nearly completed it now. I tested the mix in MIT 3 through the Genelec speakers and wrote down some things I need to focus on and change to make it cleaner. I also restructured my room to create a more comfortable working environment, I moved my bed to the window to create more space to sit at the desk and removed equipment I don’t use to have more desk space. This really helped me optimize my workflow because I didn’t have things lying around and distracting me and additionally I could easily get t...

Project 4 Task deadlines

In Task 1 we have to fill out a proposal form and state the following: - What I've learned till now - What I want to do for my Project 4 Assessment - What resources I will need to facilitate the project - What research I will conduct - Set myself deadlines and create an action plan The deadline for this task is: 08/05/2017 Task 2 is a Research and Development task where we have to research recording examples in Part A, analyse them and write a 500-word blog post about it. Part B is a research exercise about production tools, which ones are good and bad and which ones I will utilise myself and we will have to write another 500-word blog post. The deadline for Part A&B is 05/06/2017 Part C is a ongoing session diary where we update our progress via blog posts. The deadline for this is 19/06/2017 Task 3 is an audio submission of our composition which needs to be handed in by 26/06/2017 And the final task 4 is a written blog post of 500 words where we evaluate how...

Divinity Roxx masterclass

After I heard at the odeon session, that BeyoncĂ©s bassist  and creative director Divinity Roxx was holding a masterclass I immediately signed up for it. I've never heard of her before but since she had wirked with BeyoncĂ© I figured that she must have loads of experience in the industry and I could definitely take something away from the masterclass. So on tuesday the 27th of September 2016  I went there and when she came in and played her first song I was very impressed. She mixed rap with incredible bass riffs and I just enjoyed listening.  She then did a lot of q&a and talked about how she got to the level she is on now and what really surprised me, was that she first started playing bass after graduating highschool. So that was a big eyeopener to me that you dont necessarily have to do something for an extremely long time to succeed, you have to be driven and work as hard as you can! What I also learned from her is that you should live your life and en...