Skip to main content

Sunday studio day

Woke up at 10 this morning to pack my laptop, usb etc. eat a quick breakfast and get ready to the studio.
Unlike last time I was prepared for the studio session today, I had my list of what I needed, goals for the day, what I was gonna do first and most importantly I had enough time!
First I went to the tech hatch to get some mics then I set them up while Tom got the drums ready. Everything went pretty smooth until I encountered a small problem in logic which I fixed itself after a couple of minutes.
We recorded for about two hours and it went very well! After the session I saved the project to my usb and collected the mics, rolled the cables together and brought them back to the tech hatch.
It was a very rewarding experience because for some reason I thought that we wouldn't be able to make everything work but it did and I was quite happy about that.
The whole point of the studio session was to record a lot of fills and chops for a sample library and the second reason was to record drums on top of a song that I made.
Unfortunately the timing wasnt always on point and the sound of the drums isnt quite right for the track so I probably wont be able to use it.
But I recorded a lot of awesome fills and chops which I'm definitely going to use!
I guess what I will do is record the drums I want for the track again on e-drums and then quantize everything properly and use samples that fit. The pure midi data will give me a lot more flexibility.
Anyway, great session, had lots of fun and eventhough I'm  a bit dissapointed, that I can't use all of the drums I feel that I learned some new things and I try to see this as a trial and error learning experience.
(I made some videos but I'm having trouble uploading them :( this is the only other picture I have unfortunately, for reference me amd Tom were in the PRSF studio and Room 1) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4, Session diary 7: Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack

Week 3, Monday 15th of May Goals: Optimize workflow, continue working on the instrumental, practice sound design in serum and with the Korg Volca Bass, write notation for instruments to record Resources: DAW (FL Studio, Logic), instruments (guitar, piano, etc.), leads, mics, Diary: I completed 3 of the 4 goals I set myself this week, I practiced sound design and wrote a blog post about how I jammed with the Korg Volca Bass. I continued working on the instrumental and have nearly completed it now. I tested the mix in MIT 3 through the Genelec speakers and wrote down some things I need to focus on and change to make it cleaner. I also restructured my room to create a more comfortable working environment, I moved my bed to the window to create more space to sit at the desk and removed equipment I don’t use to have more desk space. This really helped me optimize my workflow because I didn’t have things lying around and distracting me and additionally I could easily get t...

Project 4 Task deadlines

In Task 1 we have to fill out a proposal form and state the following: - What I've learned till now - What I want to do for my Project 4 Assessment - What resources I will need to facilitate the project - What research I will conduct - Set myself deadlines and create an action plan The deadline for this task is: 08/05/2017 Task 2 is a Research and Development task where we have to research recording examples in Part A, analyse them and write a 500-word blog post about it. Part B is a research exercise about production tools, which ones are good and bad and which ones I will utilise myself and we will have to write another 500-word blog post. The deadline for Part A&B is 05/06/2017 Part C is a ongoing session diary where we update our progress via blog posts. The deadline for this is 19/06/2017 Task 3 is an audio submission of our composition which needs to be handed in by 26/06/2017 And the final task 4 is a written blog post of 500 words where we evaluate how...

Divinity Roxx masterclass

After I heard at the odeon session, that BeyoncĂ©s bassist  and creative director Divinity Roxx was holding a masterclass I immediately signed up for it. I've never heard of her before but since she had wirked with BeyoncĂ© I figured that she must have loads of experience in the industry and I could definitely take something away from the masterclass. So on tuesday the 27th of September 2016  I went there and when she came in and played her first song I was very impressed. She mixed rap with incredible bass riffs and I just enjoyed listening.  She then did a lot of q&a and talked about how she got to the level she is on now and what really surprised me, was that she first started playing bass after graduating highschool. So that was a big eyeopener to me that you dont necessarily have to do something for an extremely long time to succeed, you have to be driven and work as hard as you can! What I also learned from her is that you should live your life and en...